An amazingly delicious and nutritious one pot meal, add more veg at the beginning (fennel) or less lentils (to get the family used to it!)
Creamy Tomato Penne with Greens
A delicious and nutritious one pot meal
- A very large casserole (or pot) or there won’t be enough room for the pasta
- A sharp knife & chopping board
- Measuring jug/tablespoon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tin of tomatoes
- Sprig rosemary & a bay leaf
- 200g red lentils
- 1.6 litres vegetable stock
- 250g penne
- 150g shredded greens, kale or cabbage
- 100 ml single cream
- salt and pepper
- Warm the olive oil in the casserole – chop the onions and finely dice the carrot and mince the garlic. Add to the pot with salt and pepper. Cook on a low to medium heat for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Put the kettle on and make your stock by pouring boiling water over the stock cube.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs and lentils, stir for a minute or 2 until everything is coated then pour in the boiling stock. Simmer gently (around 10 mins) until the lentils are soft.
- Stir in the pasta and add a little more salt. Cook for 5 mins then add the shredded greens, stirring so the pasta doesn’t stick.
- When the pasta is al dente (after 10-12 mins total cooking time) pour in the cream and bring to the boil. Check seasoning and serve in bowls with some grated cheese if you like.